Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Book Review for The Gracen Chronicles Silver Eagle Book One by Jenna Kay


The Gracen Chronicles
Silver Eagle
Book One

by Jenna Kay
CHBB


 stars
Reviewed by: Tonya
Format:Kindle
Published:Silver Eagle Publishers
Source:Gifted Copy Genre: Fantasy / Paranormal / Young Adult / Romance




About Book

There is a world invisible to Untouched eyes, where demons rule the shadows and prey on the innocents. Gracen Potts lives in this world. Her job is to serve and protect those who are oblivious to the monsters hiding from the light.
As a Silver Mortal Gracen has the power to send these demons back to Hell. With the Silver Eagle’s blood running through her veins she feels like nothing can take her down. That is, until she meets a group of Night Vipers who have escaped the Viper clan.
Can Gracen keep doing her job of demon slaying and protect the rebel Vipers?


My Thoughts

Okay this book starts off with Gracen Potts telling you who she is. She isn’t your average every day 16 year old girl who goes to school thinks about boys and makeup and the latest fashions. Instead she comes from a long line of marked special people touched by good to fight against evil. Yes another Good versus evil story. This one has a bit of a twist in that to the naked eye they look like your average humans but to those that are touched or marked by either the good or the bad mark they can see each other. And each side has a job to do. But there is even more of a twist one that I found rather interesting. It takes the fight between good and evil to a whole new level.
Gracen is a real butt kicking girl on the side of good. And with the help of her mother and Jude an informant who works for the good side. They set out on the dark streets of New York to kick some serious demon butt. Gracen is still in school and has managed to make a best friend who keeps her grounded but she still doesn’t have the normal teenage life completely. She has a secret and one that most humans wouldn’t understand if they saw the real her and after midnight anyone can see the real her. During the day only the demons and others fighting on the side of good can see who she really is.
I really loved reading this book Gracen well she just talks like a typical teenager and having a 16 year old daughter I could close my eyes and hear my daughter saying many of the things Gracen says in this book and I would catch myself laughing at her comments and statements throughout the entire book. Maybe it is because Gracen and my daughter are the same age. Gracen is one serious demon but kicking girl – I so love strong females. And there’s some hot men in here too – you can never go wrong with that. I know you will enjoy the book.
Will good defeat evil? Can good and evil work side by side to conquer the most evil of all? Read the book – I won’t “SPOIL” it for you.


 BOOK EXCERPT
Here is an excerpt of a scene between Gracen, her best friend Bets and a waiter named Mark while the girls are out on a girls night out I laughed the entire time:
Just then a male voice breaks into our conversation. It’s Mark, our waiter and all around hottie with a cute butt. Whoa, where did that come from?
Oh, holy crap, I’m beginning to sound like Bets!
“Can I bring you ladies anything else?” he asks, brandishing a handsome smile that’s hot enough to melt a hundred gallons of ice cream.
After that one question the whole conversation changes, sprinting in a new direction I’m not too fond of.
“Actually, Mark, now that you ask, there is one thing you can get us.” Bets winks at me, shooting me a yeah, I’m going there look.
Anticipating her next move I shoot her an evil eye and say, “Bets—“
“Oh yeah?” Mark replies. “What would you like?”
“We were just wondering,” she smiles, batting her mascaraed eyelashes, “if you could give us your phone number.”
I gawk at her, kicking her shin under the table. She cries out in pain, kicking me right back. Looking at Mark I tell him, “Sorry about her—she’s a little slow if you catch my drift.”
“I am not!” Bets exclaims, completely offended and throwing a dirty look in my direction. Then to increase my humiliation level she says to Mark, “I’m only trying to get Gracen here a date. She’s a little shy. She also thinks you’re cute, but she’s afraid to tell you.”
I gasp out loud, disbelieving what my so-called best friend is doing. “Betrina, I’m so going to kill you!”
“she’s such a drama queen,” she continues, rolling her dark eyes. I try to kick her again but she’s pulled her legs up in the seat, expecting my retaliation. She sticks her tongue out at me, this time food free.
To my surprise Mark laughs. “Yes, I can give you my number.” He writes it down and rips the paper from his notepad, handing it over to me. “And Gracen, I would love to go on a date with you.”
I’m speechless as I numbly take the piece of paper from him, knowing how idiotic I must seem with my mouth agape. Why did I just take that paper with his number on it? What’s going on here?
“Great!” Bets answers for me. “How about tomorrow night?” Six o’clock at Starbucks.” Glancing at me she asks, “You like coffee, don’t you Gracen?”
“Bets!” I explode, my patience with my best friend finally breaking apart. Turning to Mark I say, “Mark, I’m sure you’re a nice guy, but I can’t go on a date with you. The reason is… well, it’s kind of personal.”
Bets snorts out a laugh. “Oh please!”
“It’s true!” I squeal, glaring at her, then back at Mark. “It’s just, um…”
“Yean?” Mark smiles, the dimple on his left cheek deepening.
I hesitate before responding, “I’m gay.”
This shocks him. “You’re gay? For real?”
“You are such a liar!” Bets is beside herself with rage, furious with me for once again using the I’m gay line and ruining her little set-up moment. “I’m so tired of you using that excuse. It’s a total lie!”
Bets continues to rant, pointing a finger at me. “Do you know how many guys I’ve had to bang just to get them to believe that you and I are not together? All because you use that stupid line to scare off guys.”
Striking back I say, “Oh, I know you’re not blaming me for all the—“
“Look, it would be different if you were gay, but you’re not, so quit saying that you are!” She crosses her arms and frowns, looking away from me. I’m angry, stunned silent, mortified to the ultimate limit. I know my usual pale face is flushed with redness.
A few silent seconds pass before Mark wonders, “So, you’re not gay?”
“Y-Yeah, I mean…” I stutter, sounding like a moron. Staring into his hazel eyes I reluctantly give in. “No. Mark. I’m not gay.”
I feel like an even bigger dork when Bets adds curtly, “You’re not the first guy she’s used that line on. That’s her way of playing hard to get. She’s a huge tease” She winks at Mark, then smiles smugly at me. Oh, the urge to knock her head off is so strong!”








0 comments: