Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Book Review for The Crimson Key The Visitor’s Series Book #2 by Christy Sloat Book




The Crimson Key

The Visitor’s Series Book #2
by  Christy Sloat

 4stars
Reviewed by:Tonya
Format:Kindle/Paperback
Published: Anchor Group Publishing
Source:Purchased Gene: Young Adult Paranormal

About Book

The truth can be deadly.
Brylee Branson’s best friend and boyfriend have fallen victim to a horrible curse that haunts her home. With the witches who cast it dead she has no choice but to rely on the ghosts inside the Brown house to help her find a cure. But time is not on her side, because Lynley’s illness is spreading rapidly.
Confused and scared, seventeen-year-old Brylee must confront a new ghost in the house she has never spoken to before. This spirit is not a Brown relative and makes no promises to help them … unless she can re-unite her with a loved one.
The fate of those she loves now rests on her. Can Brylee put the pieces of this puzzle together in time to save them? Or will the Brown house claim another victim?
The Visitor’s Series continues to scare and entice its readers with this gripping second book.

 Buy Your Kindle Copy Here At AMAZON


 



Excerpt


Our favorite song came on as I was thinking this and Ephraim pulled me closer to him. I stood inside his arms, like he was a cocoon around me keeping me warm in the cool night air. I definitely had not dressed for a concert. He sang the words to the song in my ear. It was sort of our song in a way. We didn’t ever say it was, but if there was a song to choose this would be the one.
“Your touch will save me from impending doom. You will save me from the fears that circle me. Baby, you are my savior,” he sang in my ear. It gave me chills to think how close this song game to the life we were living right now. I tried not to cry as the band played the song, but the tears fell anyway. Luckily, Ephraim couldn’t see them from behind me, I didn’t want to ruin this moment. Instead I closed my eyes and tried to capture this moment for what it was; one of the best nights of my life.
We left the concert drunk on music and high from the love we shared for each other. We made it to his truck and he kissed me like he never had before. It was raw and passionate, something he had never expressed before. You see, here’s the thing: Ephraim is hot and all, but he is shy. He and I have had sex several times, but it was always sweet and careful. He never wanted to hurt me or make me scared. Instead he took his time and was romantic about it. But this kiss we shared was not romantic – not that that was a bad thing – it was lust. I kissed him back with just as much fervor. “Get a room,” someone called out. We broke apart, realizing that maybe we had gotten a little too carried away with ourselves.
“Hey, you have something to say?” Suddenly Ephraim went from loving to angry in the blink of an eyes. I had never seen him like that before. Sure from time to time he would get pissed, but this was a level of anger that I didn’t recognize. I pulled his arm back to keep him from annihilating the other guy.
“Ephraim!” The darkness and anger left his eyes. He snapped out of his state and looked at me. It seemed like he didn’t even know what he had done wrong. Worry was all over my face, I just knew it was. I tried to hide it, but this was a sign of the curse.

My Thoughts



Ghosts, Witches, Curses, not your everyday teenage drama filled life. No Brylee is different and you get that right from the very start of this book. She can see ghosts, cursed ghosts. And the most chilling part, they are in her very own home. I have to tell you at her age that would have freaked me out but she seems to take it in stride.

The curse was and old one and has been spread from family line to family line and no one has been able to break the curse or find a way to stop it. Every line since the curse began has always ended in the same way, death. Brylee though may hold the key, in fact she does hold a key, a special key, one that may help her find a way to break the curse, put a stop to it and save her best friend Lynley and her brother, Brylee’s boyfriend, Ephraim.
Ephraim and Lynley are first born and as such will suffer the curse and its eternal deadly effects. Brylee is desperately in love with Ephraim and Lynley is like a sister to her, she won’t allow anything to happen to them. But is someone out to stop her, to keep her from saving them. And their mother, Ephraim and Lynley – OMG (no spoilers sorry) you have to read to see what I mean but watch out for her.
It isn’t long before Brylee learns just who and what she is. And she learns so much more about the place she calls home and the secrets it harbors. I have to say this book had me on the edge wondering if Brylee could save them, if she could break the curse. With the help of someone Brylee meets she starts to learn more about her gift and what she is capable of doing. What she may have to do to save her friends. She will do whatever it takes to help those that love her.
I have to say some off her encounters that she has with these ghosts can be creepy and others just down right funny. No way though could I stand there face to face with the spirit of a dead person and not lose my cool. Bravo to her for not showing fear.
Brylee’s first experience at helping a ghost using her gift happens to be with someone she cared about very much. The moment was written so very well and I could feel everyone’s emotions, the love and the loss. Such a touching scene. Made me think of my mom and my grandmother and if they too saw the light and moved onto that better place.
As the curse continues to wind its wicked fingers around her friends Brylee is even more desperate to find a way to break the curse and put an end to all of it once and for all. Grab your copy today and find out if Brylee saves the day.










0 comments: