Our Author Interview
What would you have done differently if you were the main character of your book?
Probably fallen straight into Nick’s arms! I wouldn’t have resisted for long!
What was your inspiration behind this book?
My life as a military wife certainly played a big role in it. My heroine is very scarred by her experiences and some her journey mirrors my own. Part of it is about adapting to the situation and making the best of it.
Why did you become a writer?
It was an accident. I never even considered it as a career. I wrote something for fun, I thought I’d share it, people bought it and it went from there really!
Do you have a favorite author or authors?
Sue Grafton is one of my favourites but I have many, many other faves too.
Do you like to write your books in a continuing series?
I’ve never written a serial, where it’s the same characters over and over but I’ve written one series with stand-alone books and I’ve just started another. I enjoy doing that but some characters just demand your full attention for one book and one book only. Writing a series can often mean you have to think carefully about the setting and any supporting characters whereas a stand-alone means you can focus much more on your main characters and just tell their story as it stands.
If you could date any character from any book, who would it be and why?
I’ve just finishing Somethin’ Dirty by Em Petrova and Griffin from that is my latest love. He’s slightly older—so experienced (yum) and insanely sexy and caring.
What kinds of books do you like to read in your spare time?
I generally read contemporary romance. I used to read a lot of historical but when I wrote it, I found it interfered with my work. I don’t find that happens with contemporary somehow.
As a reader and writer I think it is important to get to know your fans and make a connection with them as an author who takes the extra step to hear what their fans think and want in their continued writing is continued success and key to selling more books .Do you agree with that?
I think readers love to see you as a person and have always strive to connect with them through Facebook, email etc. However, I think it can be easy to spread ourselves too thin and not concentrate on the important thing, which is writing. I’ve recently cut back on the various ways readers can connect with me. I no longer do Twitter and I’m cutting out one of my blogs soon. I still have all the important ways of getting in touch with me available though and my fans totally understand my need to stop doing everything and anything.
Do you cry when writing sad scenes?
Yes!
Did you have a Cover Designer?
For my trad published stuff, I have Valerie Tibbs of Tibbs Design and I also use Kim Killion from the Killion Group. Not Another Soldier was actually designed by me. I don’t generally do my own stuff although I’m fully fluent in Photoshop but I had an idea that I wanted to show to my cover designer at the time and it came out so perfectly, I just left it.
Do just re-read your favorite books?
Oh yes. I have a few I’ve read many, many times.
Do you ever get in a reading slump like your readers do?
Yes. I find if I switch to paperbacks it usually gets me over it.
Not Another Soldier by Samantha Holt is a fast-paced contemporary romance that weaves together mystery, romance, and a touch of erotica to create an engaging and emotionally charged story. With its blend of likable characters and intense emotional conflicts, this novel stands out as a compelling read for fans of military romance and complex relationships.
One of the plots greatest strengths lies in its character development, particularly the portrayal of Nick, a wounded soldier whose inner turmoil drives much of the narrative. Nick’s patience, generosity, and deep love for Sienna—his best friend’s wife—make him a deeply sympathetic figure. His struggle between loyalty and desire is portrayed with nuance, making his eventual decision to pursue what he wants both heartfelt and believable. This adds a refreshing layer of emotional depth to what could otherwise be a straightforward romance.
Sienna, meanwhile, is a complex and vulnerable character. Initially trapped in an abusive marriage, her journey toward reclaiming her independence and self-worth is powerfully rendered. Holt captures Sienna’s conflicting emotions—relief, guilt, hope, and fear—with sensitivity, making her transformation resonate authentically. The tension surrounding her late husband’s secrets and the dangers that arise from them injects suspense, effectively blending the romance with a thriller-like element.
The dynamic between Nick and Sienna is fraught with ups and downs, reflecting the real challenges of love complicated by loss, guilt, and past trauma. Their chemistry is palpable, and their tentative steps toward trust and happiness keep the reader invested. The inclusion of hot, passionate scenes complements the emotional intensity without overpowering the story, enhancing rather than detracting from the narrative.
Plot-wise, the story maintains a brisk pace, with enough twists and revelations to keep readers engaged. The mystery surrounding Sienna’s husband adds layers of intrigue that elevate the novel beyond a typical romance. Holt’s writing style is accessible and fluid, making it easy to stay hooked from cover to cover.
In conclusion, Not Another Soldier is a sweet, gripping romance filled with emotional complexity, suspense, and memorable characters. It’s an excellent choice for readers who enjoy contemporary romance with a military backdrop and a mix of heartfelt drama and thrilling secrets.



.png)




.webp)
.webp)







2 comments:
Thank you so very much for such an amazing review and fun interview and for being part of this tour - Tonya
Thank you so much for taking the time to host and review! I really enjoyed answering your questions x
Post a Comment